Modern Religion

Modern religion

I have to ask God

in the inspiring beauty

of first, morning summer light

I’ll have to ask by paraphrase

to cultivate the question and get it right

I’ll have to believe in heaven

validate my pass day to day

make it all right

for all the people who bury others prematurely

those that nurture children

in death’s throes, not much

meaning found in which way the wind blows

Let’s concede defeat to war

cultural acrimony, bring everyone out

to Woodstock, someone’s farm

and start it over

cloud the doubt with summer snow

I want god to lend us a buck

Give his or her head a shake

And change the luck

Don’t want to be an embittered

Middle aged man

Confused by the shortness of things

Ready to celebrate the long view

The upper house in Canada

The role of women even in Kashishstan

Instill a need to acknowledge

Each other, women and children first

The real reason

For consternation and giving

A good god damm